Saturday, February 09, 2008

Myers' explanation of blackface incident doesn't hold water

I see the Myers blackface story has gotten some additional exposure. I’d like to address a point that I didn’t examine in my earlier post. Rather than bury it in an update, I’ll post again. The WaPo covered the story, and this part jumped out at me:

In a Nov. 8 letter replying to questions by McCaskill, Myers said that she was "shocked and horrified" to learn that the employee was wearing makeup but that within minutes of leaving the party she instructed her chief of staff to direct ICE's events photographer "to delete all photos of the employee."

"Although I didn't know that the employee had disguised his race, I believed I had made an error in judgment in recognizing an escaped prisoner," Myers wrote.

Explanation 1: She really did think the employee was black, in which case she is not smart enough to run a lemonade stand, much less a large government bureaucracy which requires substantial judgment and wisdom to enforce the immigration laws in a race-neutral way.

[Continued at Citizen Orange]

No comments: