Saturday, January 19, 2008

a face in the crowd

Aw, shucks. If faithful Americans want to give their money to Creflo Dollar, I have no problem with that. It’s a free country, after all. What could be more American than enjoying the liberating experience of freely giving your money to a con man? Named with suspicious aptitude, this one has been particularly good at casting himself as a spiritual self-help guru. And yes, the reason I’m posting about this now is because I watched him for a bit on my teevee the other day. He is fascinating to listen to, and I say that in all seriousness. It makes me wish that Joseph Smith’s sermons could have been taped for posterity, so we could marvel today in the power and cleverness of his sheer, enveloping charisma. (Again being serious. Ok, now back to your normally scheduled sarcasm.) One wonders if Dollar will also manage to convince his congregants, as only the best of the pretenders have before him, that his favored position as God’s messenger endows him with a special exception to the blessed rule of monogamy imposed on the many.

If so, rest assured that you will read about it here shortly afterwards.

No comments: