Friday, October 26, 2007

attack at mexican consulate

An explosive device went off today at the Mexican Consulate in New York City:

Police and bomb squad units were called to the Mexican Consulate in Manhattan early Friday morning after some kind explosive device detonated at the building, WCBSTV.com first reported.

Sources say the device -- which initially was said to be some sort of hand grenade, but sources later confirmed it may have been something else -- exploded outside the building, located at 27 E. 39th Street and Fifth Avenue, shattering glass and sending debris into the building.

There are no reports of any injuries, but consulate employees were tense as the news spread. "Everybody got nervous when they heard something about this, but we can stay calm," said Alejandro Aquino.
We'll see whether law enforcement manages to track down the suspect and if they can determine his/her motives, but in the current antagonistic environment regarding immigration,
it's easy to speculate that this was an act intended to terrorize the Mexican community in the United States. There are a lot of crazy people in New York City--I ride the subway every day, so I know--so any motive or no motive is possible. But I hope we don't get to a place where legal services organizations and foreign consulates have to undertake the kinds of security measures that abortion clinics have been forced to take since they have been attacked so many times.

4 comments:

nicolle said...

Isn't it strange that racism and inequality can continue even in the midst of groups that were once the target? In Costa Rica people are really racist against everyone, blacks, Nicaraguans, Colombians etc. And I am sure that you have heard the stories from Rob's work at the Brazilian place. We are supposed to learn from history, not repeat it in a new guise.

Anonymous said...

I wonder in this case though, Nicolle. The most venomous rhetoric in the US is coming from nativists (usually white, not latino) against immigration, and an attack in the US on the Mexican consulate seems most likely from them. In the absence of further facts, anyway. Yave, I read your blog regularly and appreciate you keeping me up on immigration issues.

Anonymous said...

Also, I like the photos at the head of your blog. I seem to recognize the mountain and moon photo--I think I took it! Love,

yave said...

I agree, Nicolle--it's pretty discouraging sometimes.

The most venomous rhetoric in the US is coming from nativists (usually white, not latino) against immigration, and an attack in the US on the Mexican consulate seems most likely from them.

I did read a news article speculating that the attack coincided with the anniversary of the death of a leftist American activist journalist in Mexico, which might suggest that the attack was motivated by animus against the Mexican government from the left. However, I've seen nothing to substantiate that speculation. I don't think anyone knows who did it. But what's clear is there is a lot of animus against Mexicans right now.

Mom, I took that picture, but I'm sure it's similar to some you've taken, too.

Look, it's almost a thread!