Wednesday, December 26, 2007

top 10 movies of 2007

It's a relief to come back from the Christmas break to high-speed internet. I didn't realize how much I rely on it until I only had intermittent access to it for about a week.

To celebrate my personal gratitude for cable internet, here are my top 10 Movies of 2007 (in no particular order):

  • Hot Fuzz
  • American Gangster
  • Lust, Caution
  • Superbad
  • Eastern Promises
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Ratatouille
  • King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
  • Knocked Up
  • Tears of the Black Tiger (U.S. release)

Honorable Mention:

  • Grindhouse
  • Sicko
  • Killer of Sheep (re-release)
  • Taste of Tea

Haven’t yet seen, but want to:

  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • Once
  • Rescue Dawn
  • Fido
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Redacted
  • National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Also, unrelatedly, I'll remark that Daft Punk's recent live album, fittingly titled "Alive," came into my possession yesterday and it's pretty freakin' cool. It replicates the concert at Coney Island I attended this summer, which was a mind-altering, religious experience of the sort that makes you feel like a teenager again, but in a good way. I hope they turn out to be the kind of band that stays around for decades, milking their glory days to sold-out crowds of balding middle managers, accountants, and attorneys. If they are that band, I will certainly be there, jiggling my paunch and waving my hands in the air with abandon.

Adding that I'll outsource the top albums of 2007 to my wife, who has probably already forgotten more about pop/rock music than I will ever manage to learn.

No comments: