Friday, January 19, 2007

Children of Men

A couple of initial reactions:

--I did not like Julianne Moore in The Vertical Hour, and this movie confirmed my opinion.

--Having a gun was no guarantee of safety; in fact, the reverse seemed to be true.

--The “post-apocalyptic” vision of the world portrayed in the movie is currently a reality in many parts of the world. Haiti, Darfur, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Palestine, Somalia. Except in the world we live in, the walls and fences keeping poverty and violence out are not visible in daily life and it’s easier to forget that bad things are happening now. For instance, Rwanda and Srebrenica are recent examples of situations which were much worse than those depicted in the film.

--It was riveting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe the original novel is by the mystery writer PD James. I started to read the book several years ago when we were in England, but gave up on it. Maybe I'll have to revisit the novel.